Thursday, January 26, 2017

It's OKAY to be the People Person Loner.

When I was around seven, I had two imaginary friends. Their names were Icka and Sissy. I have no idea where those names came from...I'd like to think my parents made them up, but there is no way they actually came up with those. They did absolutely everything with me, from playing Barbies to riding in the car to eating meals together. It got to the point where my mom and dad treated them as a part of the family, taking them with us wherever we went. Then one day, my dad asked, "Where are Icka and Sissy eating tonight?" and I looked at him like he had 3 heads. They no longer existed in my world, and from that point on I played as a normal only child would at home. Alone.

I think they disappeared not because they weren't cool enough to hang out with anymore, or they found a new seven year old to pal around with, but because I became secure with absence. I felt comfortable being by myself, and I wish I could say I carried that skill along with me through life!

But unfortunately, as time went on, I started to feel as though I had to constantly be surrounded by others to "look cool". Even into my freshman year of college, I had the biggest case of FOMO literally ever and never took a second to even realize if I was actually enjoying myself. After while, it began to take a real toll on me.

I compared myself to others, wondered why this girl was better friends with this girl, and broke my back to ensure I was doing something with someone every moment I could. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE people. I think people are literally the coolest, we are all so different an unique and get to write our very own life story, full of feelings and accomplishments and so much more?! I want to live my life knowing that I get to interact with all different kinds of people every single day and make an impact on their story! Seriously, when things are happening and I am a safe, secure, charged-up version of myself, being around others gives me the most possible JOY!!!!

But there is such a difference between a healthy exposure to people and a dangerous exposure to people for me. I admire my sweet friends who live in our sorority house daily, I love every single gal that lives in that beautiful residence, but I would 100% go nuts. Once I feel almost forced to go and do, that is the time to stop and reflect for me.

So, finally getting to my point here, it is OKAY to be that girl that DOESN'T say yes to every single invite to dinner or to go out or to movie night, and you really shouldn't feel guilty. We are all made so fearfully and wonderfully, with different outlooks and different levels and different ways to be in tune with ourselves!! It is OKAY to be the girl who wants to stay in bed to watch Netflix tonight or be the girl who walks around Walmart alone at 11:00 (me tonight...it is a sketchy place 2 be...reader discretion advised).

Overall, it is important to be the healthiest you that you can be! Your friends will love you even more for being such an encouraging, optimistic light in their lives after you are able to reflect and take some "me" time!

 In order to love others, you must love yourself, even if "yourself" is a people person loner. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Processing the newfound processes of the ever-changing process around me.

When I sat down and started thinking about how to even begin putting in the experiences of the year into words, the first word that came to ...