Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Small town FAMILY

Growing up, my class never exceeded anymore than 35 people. Grade levels never had more than two classes per grade, and sometimes you even got the same teacher two years in a row! My school had an elementary hallway, a middle school hallway, and a high school hallway, all in one building. I graduated in a class of 22 seniors, anxious to leave the people we had known all our lives.

On New Years Eve, tragedy struck the little town of Burgin. One of the third grade teachers was involved in a sudden, devastating car accident, taking her life. This teacher truly touched the lives of her students, fellow teachers, and her children. Dealing with losing such a positive, optimistic member of our community has put strain on so many different aspects in Burgin. As you can imagine, losing someone here is losing a part of our family.

As difficult as this loss is and will continue to be, events such as these truly open my eyes to how grateful I am to have grown up where I did. The support given from each and every person, regardless of their relationship with one another, is one I can't put into words. Not only has this teacher's family and friends band together for comfort, but the entire Burgin school and city have gone above and beyond to ensure that those in mourning can feel peace.

Yes, I do think that growing up in Burgin has disadvantaged me to a certain extent. I have felt as though I lacked opportunity and even social skills coming from such a small area. Yet, in these most recent days, I cannot seem to feel anything but overwhelmingly blessed by my roots. I know that in both times as hard as these and even the best of times, this family I was given will be by my side. They will be by each other's side. Being in a small town family isn't so bad, it's a blessing.

My heart goes out to those who knew and loved Ms. Sara Berry. While I never had the privilege of getting to work with her, I feel confidently in saying that she fulfilled her purpose while she graced this Earth.


"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
-Matthew 5:4

1 comment:

Processing the newfound processes of the ever-changing process around me.

When I sat down and started thinking about how to even begin putting in the experiences of the year into words, the first word that came to ...